Monday, June 19, 2006

"WHO" does "WHAT" EXACTLY?

I face that problem at work, I always discuss it with my team memebers as well as managers.Why can't we have a clear role assignment?!. In my opinion it'll save us alot of time and won't over pressure people in expense of others which will eventually lead to higher productivity.

Why don't we apply significant role assingement?, One of the argument was that it's much fasterto do it myself!. Is that a good argument?!

For example why would I as a developer answer the phone?!, why would a financial manger do an hr job?!why would a manger do an administrator job?!

Can u see where I'm heading..this is Chaos people!!!..If it will take a longer time for the right assinged pesonnel to do his job than if you do it urself, then may b we need to reassign jobs in a more efficient way.

I'll call it the "who does what syndrome?!". It'll lead to lots of pressure on youif you r doing ur own tasks subsided by other tasks that others should do. The bigger problem is that the assigned people for that task would take ur voluntary action as a regular thing and at the end of the road you will find urself doing "everything" urself.

Now was that a good argument after all?!

4 comments:

Einsame said...

It's a valid point, althought I myself think this way "it's faster to do it myself" and I accused myself of being a poor team member. I was totally unfair to myself. The overload result usually in poor quality. The worst is that others are normally praised for whatever they r doing, and simply others are blamed for doing the voluntary things with poor quality. The end result is !!!
Again, the volunteer is sharing in this situation by taking over irrelevant tasks. Still, to refuse, one has to play it smart to avoid misunderstandings, which are not necessarily "Professional".
Thanks dear, I have to give it a second thought ;)

magic said...

Yes I think I'll add to "who does what exactly?" "who takes the appraisals and appretiation?", it's true that even if u agreed to do others tasks u won't b the one who receives any appraisal, so what'd motivate u to do it in a good quality, mind u that holds when u actually got the time for it in the first place.

I think u needn't play it smart, just a simple "no that's not my role"'d do..even if it'll cause any misunderstanding, IT IS UR RIGHT, U OWE PEOPLE NOTHING.

mahmoud said...

in a real team... one can do tasks other than the ones he is assigned to.. this usually take place in both directions... someone is late.. u assist him and maybe carry out some of his stuff... maybe u get stuck in sth or not in the best mood for high productive brilliant handing of tasks.. u can find someone next to u to give u a hand or two..
it is ok to play other roles as well AS LONG AS u r in a team..

the situation u r talking about is when u r put in a situation where u have coworkers who do not act as team players.. a player will acknowledge ur help in carrying out his task... he'll not receive appraisal for things u have done for him..
actually.. a team gets appraisal for the whole production.. not as individuals...

but u has a coworker who is not a team player... it is up to u..
it is about what u want...
maybe u don't want to do stuff instead of other people..
maybe u have more important things.. like u want the final production to be perfect even if u had to do more that what was originally required..
maybe, if ur coworker is not much useful, u want to take the responsibility (and appraisal) for the whole thing..

it depends..

Anonymous said...

i think ur problem can be solved in 3 actions

1. if this "voluntary task" doesn't give you the vision of how to achieve the common goal of the team , then u have the right to refuse it until u see this vision.

2. if u can see this common vision , u will have to prioritize between the new task and your tasks putting the new task in your to-do list

3. if u r not capable of doing this task , simple refuse the task based on ignorance