Sunday, November 19, 2006

The Future of Books

The ICUDL conference I enjoyed recently at bibalex it stands for "International Conference Universal Digital Library". It's the 2nd one, the first was held in China.

I enjoyed the talk of Mr Usama Fayyad from Yahoo! inc USA. He talked about how the internet now came to be a rich publishing area from individuals (blogs, flickr-yahoo just bought). He labeled the individuals publishing the "wisdom of the masses" which opens a good argument about the amount of junk vs the real authentic information present out there on the web.

Now the real question is: "where books stand now?", Are books dying? or in their way for extinction?!..The second speaker Mr Daniel Clancy, Google, Pointed out something I totally agree with..People tend to go for the easiest fastest way for getting the info they need. Let me give you this example: If u have this big library in ur college campus would u go search there or would u Google it instead?

So again where do books stand now?..I think the only chance for books is digitization. I'm glad bibalex is taking some smart steps towards digitizing the Arabic books, we got a great heritage we need to ensure its spread all over the globe right?!

No comments: