Friday, May 26, 2006

The Pearl

John Steinbeck master piece "The Pearl", I've got to talk about it. I've read it when I was like 15, it really shaped my mind.I rememberd it now for a good reason.

It starts with Kino, a poor fisherman having a small poor family. One day, his little son got stung by a scorpionand the wealthy town doctor refused to treat the child cos Kino can't pay him.

Kino goes diving, and finds a great pearl, the Pearl of the World, and knows he is suddenly a wealthy man. The word travels quickly about the pearl and many in the town begin to plot ways to steal it.

Kino is an ignorant man, he's not aware of the deception and the cunning ways of people.He thought the pearl'll solve everything, he tried to sell it, but the pearl buyers convinced himthat the pearl is worth so little cos it's so large!!!

Again Kino is so ignorant, his wife proclaimed that the pearl is evil and it's cursed it turned all the villagepeople, all their neighbors against them. She suggested Kino should go and throw it back to the gulf.She takes the pearl and tries to throw it into the sea, but Kino stops her and beats her.

Kino now thought of going to another city, on his journey Kino is attacked by thieves, he kills his attackers but his baby child got killed.Kino's journey with the pearl ends in tragedy.
Realizing that the pearl is cursed and has destroyed his family, Kino and his wife returned to their village and throw the cursed pearl into the sea.

A quote i liked:"This pearl has become my soul. . If I give it up, I shall lose my soul."
The pearl made Kino turn against his neihgbors, his wife and turned him into a killer.

Sometimes u hung urself up on something thinking that it's enough to face the whole world with,u get to lose people who loves u, people of great worth and for what?!..for a worthless thing.

No comments: